Thursday, August 26, 2010

Unforgettable


This week, just a short year ago, Milo was born to my sweet Leah. She called me in Alabama to tell me her water had broken, and I booked a flight to Austin that day. She and her husband, Paul, had arranged for the baby to be born at home with an extremely reputable midwife and her assistant. Uh, no hospital, no doctor, no epidural, no nothin.
I knew all of that going in, but on the plane ride over, I began to get nervous with all the "what ifs", and in the baby birthing arena, there are tons of those.
One of the things that I love about my girls is that they have their own ways of doing things, and I support and applaud them for that. After all, isn't that how they are supposed to be when they are grown up? But therein lies the problem. It is so ridiculously hard to realize that they really don't need you to weigh in on what they do, and how they do it. Now, I will have to say I was beyond thrilled that I was going to get to be a part of this home birth. (mostly to entertain Henry) But still, that Leah had asked me to come meant that I was included , and what mother wouldn't jump at that? I just wanted to arrive calm and collected and not ask too many questions ---just be the mom that she would want me to be. And I think I was. Well, mostly.
Katie, bless her heart, came over from Houston to be there for Leah, but as God would have it, she ended up being there for me. So when I even appeared to be weakening, worrying, and all prayed out, she would give me her look that only she can give. And I would snap to. After all, this was about Leah having her baby her way and not about me. As the time got nearer and the midwife came in and out of the room, I was so happy and excited for Leah--that she was able to carry out what she wanted for her birth experience. And..... relieved when I heard that first tiny yelp from her room signaling we could rush in. What a picture I have in my mind--Paul holding Leah, and Leah holding that fresh new miraculous life. Way to go, Leah. Unforgettable.

No comments: