Thursday, August 19, 2010

It Feels Like School


and I'm not there. I'm packing for Memphis instead. It seems weird not to be experiencing the back to school excitement, and yes, teachers get that too, unless you are in an undesirable school, and then it is back to school dread. I have experienced both. But the last four years, I have loved getting up (even if it was 5:30 am) and going to work.
I really didn't intend to be a teacher--when I was at Ole Miss, I wasn't sure what I wanted to do, and back in my day, my advisor didn't take time to discuss options like they do now. Teaching was my default vocation, because I really didn't know I could do anything I wanted to do. Girls were still on the cusp of going to college to find a husband, and I was a serious contender. bought it hook, line, and as I found out later.....sinker
I love kids--all kinds of kids--and that is a huge plus in teaching. You'd be surprised how many teachers really don't like kids, or they want to mash them into little quiet robots, which means stifling creativity. I tend to like the kids who are quirky, nerdy, and have something to say but won't say it...you know the ones--they sit at the back of the class and are minimally engaged. It's a challenge to me to get them going. I have to admit I don't like every single kid, but when I have changed my attitude about one I haven't liked---I'm talking I purposed to find something cool about that kid--over time I loved him. I guess you could do this outside the classroom with people too---well, maybe in some cases. But if I'm going to spend a lot of time with a child in my class, I should find a way to love that kid.
Anyway, I really miss teaching, and wonder if I will find something I love as much in Memphis.

No comments: