Monday, October 25, 2010

It's Hell Getting Old, but Go Ahead and Laugh



Mama who is 5'1" and her youngest grandson, Jackson, 6'4"


Well, it's here.  I turn 60 tomorrow.  But this post is not about my growing old.  What's on my mind is my mother.  She stayed with us for about 9 days,so that she could see doctors in Memphis for various conditions you might imagine an 87 year old might have.  I took her back to her house yesterday, and on the drive back to Memphis, I thought of the week we had had.  What stood out to me during all of her doctor visits and needle pricks is that she has a great sense of humor, and that has helped her through awkward medical moments, rude and cold nurses, and doctors' comments which would not win them any bedside manner awards.  I continue to be amazed at how harsh a diagnosis can sound just by the way it is worded.  And then there are the health care professionals that you would like to take out to dinner because you enjoyed your brief encounter with them so much.  And that's what is so concerning to me.  You wait and wait and wait ---in our case 3 1/2 hours for one appointment and 2 hours for another.   And you actually see the doctor a little over 10 minutes if you are lucky.  And most of us would prefer the doc to be kind and attentive for those 10 minutes.  ( and some are )  But I noticed when the bedside manner went south, Mama would go into lockdown.   I can't help but wonder how often that happens with other patients.   I can still tolerate a doc who is not the sweetest person on the block, but when you are old and tired, and you feel old and tired, I think the bedside manner is HUGE.   So, on the way back to my house, we would try to find something funny about the appointment, or how neither one of us could remember where the car was parked in the cavernous parking garage, and we would laugh.  Or we would pretend to reverse roles and show that doctor how to speak to a patient the right way.  I just wonder if health care professionals realize how much their attitude affects the attitude of their patients.  Some just don't "play well with others".  And it is disappointing, not to mention a heap of trouble to take a chance on another doctor who may or may not have the same personality drawbacks.  It just makes me think about how much more pleasant it would be to have an uplifting, positive doctor, nurse prac, or staff member accompanying you as you make your way out of this life.  Because the doctor's office is about the only place you go when you are elderly and you feel bad.    
So I'm hoping that if I make it in this life another 27 years, I will be able to laugh at myself and at the people who are foolish enough not to show empathy to an octogenarian who feels like crap.  
 "A cheerful heart makes good medicine, but a crushed spirit dries up the bones." Proverbs 17:22 
Do I hear an "Amen"?

5 comments:

Gail said...

Amen Corlea!

A Little ride said...

i think the most important part is that she had someone loving with her!

Anonymous said...

Brilliant, Corlea. You've brought back so many dear and painful memories of all my jillions of contacts with health care professionals getting our parents through those stages a few years ago. It is so hard. But it is so precious, and you will never regret that you have been there with your mother.

LaurenMZ said...

THAT is JACKSON??!! Crazy. That picture makes me feel old!

On a more serious note, so sweet that you were there with her. I know how many times my mom has made me feel better when I haven't felt well (even in recent years!), and I hope I can return the favor someday like you did!

Unknown said...

You are so right. That is what all working in the medical field should remember that the KEY is patient care. I work in Ophthalmology and I treat our patients as if they are family. Young or old we all deserve good patient care. After all who wants to pay someone to "not" care for them.