Monday, February 21, 2011

Talk about Treasures!

While going through Sara's belongings in the last few weeks, Clark and I discovered some fantastic family treasures that were outside in the storage room.  We were surprised to find them there, and carefully brought them into the house in the torn up box they were in for who knows how long, and began to look through them. I am not talking about money or jewelry or antiques; I am talking about Sara's keepsakes: wedding pictures, photographs from her childhood, her Tri Delta group photo from Ole Miss circa 1935, and  beautiful portraits of her at age 18 to name a few.  We were just sick about finding these priceless items in the same room off the garage that houses the used flower pots, garden tools, step ladders, empty jars, and multiple spider webs--not to mention the mold.  But there they were in the corner on the shelf.  We even found one of the straw hats worn by the bride's maids in Sara and Cy's wedding.  And it was adorable.  I usually do not give unsolicited advice on this blog, (I do enough of that with my family) but sometimes someone else's experiences help others, and I hope that this is one of those times.  So here's what I want to express:
How fun and meaningful it would have been for Sara and for us if we had gotten out all of these items while she was alive.  She could have given us details of who was who in some of the photographs, and I know she would have enjoyed us being interested.  And we could have told her how beautiful her photographs are.  I don't know anyone who doesn't want to hear something good about themselves!  We just didn't know they were out there. And there aren't too many family members or friends left to help us figure out who everyone is in some of the photos.  So, if you still have your parents or grandparents, or any family member who would enjoy discussing their past with you, I encourage you to get out the photo albums with all the little triangular black photo holders that are falling apart and take a walk down memory lane with them.  You will be so glad you did. 
I think the reason Sara didn't do that with us is that she either forgot about them, or she just didn't think we'd be all that interested.  And there was probably a time when Clark was younger and not intrigued by his mother's old photographs and letters.  But he is now, and I know he wishes he had had the chance to spend an afternoon with his mom learning things about her he might not ever know.  We are grateful for her wonderful keepsakes, and rest in the knowledge that she would be happy that we will be cleaning, refurbishing, and preserving those things she kept in that torn up box for so long.   

1 comment:

Candy said...

Aren't old photos wonderful? It brings back a time and a place and a FEEL that you can't get any other way. I've got lots of my mom's photo albums, and it's just a great way to spend a day--which we did a fair amount when she was alive--reminiscing and sharing stories.